Cycling in India Guide:
Biking / Cycling has always been a major attraction for adventure lovers. Today the sport is one of the rapid growing and fascinating adventure sports in India. Indian Himalayan ranges offer plenty of biking/ cycling options amidst its high peaks. The Himalayan ranges with its varied geo-morphological features provide some of the great trails for cycling and biking. Climbing a mountain on a bike or cycle provides thrilling experience, in which adventure seekers always remain engaged till they finish their trip. Riding on a bike or cycle, offers a big challenge for adventure enthusiast who dare to conquer the majestic hills with strong vigor, potential and aptitude. Biking / Cycling trough Himalayan roads take one to some of the highest towns and villages that are a different world. The rustic, pollution free, calm and charming place provide a heavenly feel. Overall biking or cycling is the best option to explore a small hamlet or an unknown town in the foothills of the Himalayas.
Biking/ Climbing Locales in India:
The varied topography of India makes it also ideal for biking and cycling. The Himalayan ranges are considered best for enjoying this adventure sport. Some of the famous places for biking/ cycling in the Himalayan region are located in the states of Jammu and Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh, Uttaranchal, Sikkim and Arunachal Pradesh. Situated at a height of 18,370 metre, the Khardung La Pass, in Jammu and Kashmir is the highest motorable pass in the world. Other high passes are Baralachala Pass (4,892 m), Lachalangla Pass (5,065m) and Tanglangla Pass (5,360m). Terai forests in the Himalayan ranges of Nainital and Himachal Pradesh are ideal for cycling. Cycling through these stretches offer breathtaking views of the surroundings.
As most of the cycling/ biking tracks pass adjoining the border of neighbouring countries, so one need the prior permission from the concerned authority for cycling or biking in the Indian Himalayas. For all biking tours in Indian Himalayas, the adventure seekers need a clearance six month before the tours from the Indian Mountaineering Foundation (IMF). IMF deputes a Liaison Officer, who provide necessary help in case of emergency. The Liaison Office coordinates with many government agencies for the smooth completion of the adventure tour. The costs of the Liaison Officer are totally borne by the expedition. Adventure seekers also have to pay royalty for biking, which is charged according to the height and popularity of the summit.
Essentials for Biking /Cycling:
- One must be physically and mentally fit.
- One needs to follow basic guidelines before hiting the mountain track.
- One must be fully equipped with essential items which is necessary to take cycling and motor biking tours in the Himalayas.
- One needs to take specially made cycles or motorbikes to meet the hard conditions of rough terrain. These types of cycles or motorbikes are easily available and are fitted with the appropriate equipments.
- It must be ensured that the bike has multi-speed gears, which enable you to cope with sloppy height of the mountains. Essential tools must be carried along, which may be required for repairing in case of a puncture or other disorder.
- Some of the essential equipments on a cycle or motorbike tour include helmets, tent, sleeping bag, drinking water, water bottle cages, t-shirt, back pack, wind-cheater snacks and first aid box.