India Elephant Safari – Feel Grand As You Set Out
The Elephant Safari is the ideal and safest way to travel through the dense and rugged terrains, where jeeps or other vehicles cannot reach. An Elephant Safari takes you to the royal era, when elephants were used to carry royalty on their backs. During the royal period the elephants were equipped with a howdah (a luxurious seat) on their back, and an umbrella over it to provide shade. Today the elephant safaris may lack the luxury of that bygone era, but they still provide that royal charm. Apart from experiencing that royal charm, you will also be able to watch the far-flung areas of the forests. Elephant Safari takes one to the remotest areas of the wildlife sanctuaries and national parks, where one can can closely view the varied wildlife. You can see the wild elephants taking bath in the water ponds and lakes. One can easily take photographs of the wild animals while passing through the wildlife sanctuaries and parks. Besides visiting the wildlife sanctuaries and parks, the Elephant Safari can bring you to majestic forts and palaces of Rajasthan.
Elephant Safari Regions:
Himalayan Regions, Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary, Bandhavgarh National Park, Kaziranga National Park, Rajasthan etc.
When To Go:
Elephant Safaris can be organized throughout the year in India. Still the ideal time to visit the wildlife is October to March, when the forest areas appear more beautiful.
Elephant Safari Regions
An Elephant Safari is an excellent option to visit the Wildlife Sanctuaries and National Parks situated in the Himalayan regions. Himalayan terrain can be easily explored on an Elephant’s back. Elephant Safaris in Himalayan regions include the Corbett National Park in Uttaranchal and Kaziranga National Park in Assam. The Elephant rides in Himalayan regions provide the close look of the wild animals like Wild Boar, Sloth Bear, Rhesus, Jackals, Antelope and One Horned Indian Rhino etc.
Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary
Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary in Kerala is the best elephant hub, which attracts a large number of animal lover every year. The wildlife sanctuary is considered safest elephant sanctuary in the country as well as world. While moving on elephant’s back one can see the elephants bathing playfully in the lake of the sanctuary.
Besides the elephants, Periyar is also houses other wild animals like Wild Pig, Sambar and Guar and hundreds of bird species
Bandhavgadh National Park
Situated in Madhya Pradesh, Bandhavgarh was once the hunting reserve of Maharajas of Rewa. The white tigers of Rewa were discovered in Bandhavgarh. Elephant Safari is the good option to see the wildlife of the park, one can also see the tigers closely.
Points one must keep in mind:
- As Elephant Safari is a vast affair, it needs many attendants for the elephant.
- The climatic conditions of the particular region should be kept in mind before starting the elephant safaris. The weather can vary a lot, in desert of Rajasthan, where days are hot and nights are cold.
- One should take along plenty of drinking water to avoid dehydration, as well as other items like sun hat, sun screen, googles and first aid kit.
- Clothes should be comfortable according the climatic conditions.
- Prior permission is necessary to the enter a national park.
- Don’t throw the plastic bags, papers and other eatables within the park area.
- Treat the elephant with love and affection, give few bananas or other eatable items to elephants it will be happy to take you on a joy ride.