Important tips for Air Travel for Elderly Traveller in India:
Read Important tips Air Travel for Elderly Traveller in India. Information and accessibility tips on air travel for persons with disabilities. This page is dedicated to elderly parents and others traveling to India. We also recognize that senior citizens often do have special needs and concerns when they fly.
- Wear slip on shoes to get through security check easily
- Request a physical pat down if you are not comfortable about walking through the body scanners
- If you have a pacemaker, insulin pump or other medical device on/in your body, advise the screening officer as soon as you enter the screening area. You can request a physical pat down if there are concerns about going through the body scanner with the devices.
- Sitting still for a long flight puts the elderly at an increased risk of developing blood clots in the veins that can move to your lungs (venous thromboembolism). Wear loose clothes and move your limbs frequently, criss-crossing and moving your legs while seated and taking frequent breaks walking along the aisle, to decrease the risk.
- If you have other risk factors for developing blood clots, like cancer, congestive heart failure or recent surgery, consult your doctor for risk-reduction measures.