Important Safety Tips for Women when Planning a Trip to India:
- Book your accommodations in advance; in India, most international flights depart and arrive at night and it is just not advisable to go searching for accommodations at that late hour. Book your hotel room in advance – over the phone, through an online travel agent or directly on the hotel’s official website.
- Research your city and available accommodations well and book your hotel rooms in a well-established area instead of the outskirts of a city.
- Book a room on a Women-only floor – several hotels in India have women-only floors, where only women travelling without male companions can stay. These rooms have higher security features, are attended to by an all-women staff and feature women-oriented amenities.
- Request a room on the higher floors, where the risk of someone breaking-and-entering is much lower. However, do not ascend so high as to be rendered unreachable by fire engines in the eventuality of an emergency. Safety experts recommend staying between the third and sixth floors.
- Request a room near the elevators, away from the staircases and any renovation works.