ALLAHABAD TOURISM GUIDE:
Map: Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh, India
Location: Uttar Pradesh
Attractions: Allahabad High Court, Public Library
Architechture: Colonial Architecture Of Late 19th & Early 20th Century
Languages: Hindi, English
One of the largest cities in Uttar Pradesh Allahabad bears testimony to the transfer of power from the East India company to the British Crown after the 1857 uprising The public library, the High Court, Allahabad University, Muir College, Mayo Memorial Hall are some structures that portray the exquisite colonial architecture prevalent in the 19th and the early 20th century.
The most sacred spot in Allahabad is Triveni Sangam, the confluence of three of the holiest rivers of the Hindu mythology, the holy Ganga, Yamuna and the mythical Saraswati. Devout Hindus from all over India come to this sacred pilgrimage point to offer prayers and take a dip in the holy waters. It is believed that a holy dip taken at the Sangam washes away all sins.
PRIME ATTRACTIONS IN ALLAHABAD:
All Saint’s Cathedral: William Emerson designed the Cathedral church of All Saint’s at Allahabad in 1870’s, but it was consecrarted only in 1887AD. The church, which has been described as the finest Anglican Cathedral in Asia is faced in white stone from Surajpur with red stone dressings.
Holy Trinity Church: Constructed in 1839 under the supervision of Lieutanant Sharp and architect Major Smith, this is the first church of Allahabad.
Jamuna Church: Built in 1847 by John Freeman, one of the first American Presbyterian missionaries who arrived in Allahabad.
Ram Lila: Allahabad Dussehra is marked with the unique procession of beautifully decorted “chowkis” accompained by Ramdals every evening.
Public Library (1864): Standing at Alfred park this building was opened as a memorial to the friendship of Lord Thornhill, the then Commissioner of Allahabad and Mr. Mayne, the then Collector. It was called the “Thomhill and Mayne Memorial”. Designed by R.Roskell Rayne, this public library is a remarkable example of Gothic Style. The memorial has a lofty tower and acarded cloisters. In 1879 thelibrary was shifted to the present p9remises, at alfred park. It has about 75,000 books, besidees a treasure trove of manuscripts and journals.
The Old High Court and Public Offices: They are four storied block. Made of sandstone and ashiar these were built by Colonel Piele in i 870 in the classical style. The Minto Park to the west of the ton has a Memorial Pillar enriched with Royal medallions and four lions carrrying the Imperial coronet. This was a memorial pillar to the Royal Proclamation of the assumption of rule by the British crown in 1858. The Municipal Museum adjoining the library is yet another colonial structure which is a treasuretrove of archaeological artefacts.
Allahabad Museum: The Allahabad Museum has an impressive collection of Sunga, Gupta, late Gupta and early medieval period sculptural masterpieces, discovered at different places around Allahabad.
Muir College (1874): Designed by William Emerson, this is an excellent mix of Gothic and Indian architectural elements. Commenced in 1874 and opened in 1886, it has an arcaded quadrangle which is dominated by a 200ft minaret tower in cream coloured sandstone from Mirzapur with marble and mosaic floors. The domes of the Indo saracenic structure are clad in Multan glazed tiles.
Mayo Memorial Hall(1879): Situated near the Thornhill and Mavne Memorial this large hall with a 180 ft high tower was designed by R.Roskell Bayne. The interior of this memorial hall is ornamented with designs by Professor Gamble of the South Kensington Museum, London. Completed in 1879 this hall was meant for public meetings, balls and receptions in commemoration of the assassinated Viceroy.
Ewing Christian College (1901): In 1901 the Allahabad Christian College was founded by Dr. Arthur Ewing with eight students. By 1912 when Dr. Ewing passed away the college had its own Physics lab, Princeton hostel, Rhea hostel, Engineering buildings, the main building, Agricultural department, Philadelphia hostel and Turner hostel. memory of its great founder this college was a leading educational institution of Allahabad during early 19th century.
Allahabad High Court(1916): Chief Justice, Sir John Staley laid the foundation in 1911. It was finally completed in 1916 and opened by Viceroy Lord Chelmsford. Designed by Frank Lishman. this structure is subtly adapted to the climate as is evident from the double roofing with Allahabad tiles on top to beat the summer heat. Conceived in a grand fashion, it has a domed pedimented centre, arcaded wings, stone balustrades and engrailed arches. It reflects a beautiful synthesis of Eastern and Western architectural styles
Ranipur Wildlife Sanctuary: This 230 sq. kms.of sanctuary is rich in wildlife.
HOW TO REACH ALLAHABAD:
Rail: Allahabad has four railway stations, but major trains on the broad-gauge Delhi-Kanpur-Kolkatta line arrive at the main Allahabad Junctions.
Road: Allahabad is well connected by road to all the major cities and town of the state. Buses ply regularly to nearby towns of Varanasi, Kanpur and Lucknow.
Local Transport: Taxis, cycles and auto rickshaws are the most common mode of transport within the city.
PLACES TO STAY IN ALLAHABAD:
Allahabad has hotels to suit most budgets and temperaments, with resonable options generally in the old Chowk area to the south, and the mid-range and luxurious ones in the Civil Lines.
NEARBY CITIES OF ALLAHABAD:
Varanasi (125 km)
Kanpur (195 km)
Lucknow (238 km)